Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo crash

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo crash
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 08:25:06 +0000

On Mon, 2017-02-06 at 08:50 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> I have now seen that the version with debug informations does not
> crash.
> So it might have something to do with the optimisation?

Well optimization is done independently of creating and storing debug
information. To test without optimization I edit the file src/Makefile
at the line

CFLAGS = -g -O2 -fdiagnostics-color=auto   -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 ...

to read

CFLAGS = -g -O0 -fdiagnostics-color=auto   -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 ...

(It's quite extraordinary, but I've never noticed any performance change
when running like that! But debugging is much easier).

It'll take me a little while to work out what to do next (we *may* be
chasing some bug that is not actually in Denemo, but the fact that it
happens while exercising code that I have recently altered is highly
suspicious of some un-initialized pointer). Bear with me.
Meanwhile it might be worthwhile to generate another

        make clean && make 2>&1 | tee make.log

to be sure that there are no warnings being ignored.