Re: [Denemo-devel] Lyrics Align Syllables

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Lyrics Align Syllables
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 16:47:52 +0000

On Mon, 2017-01-30 at 16:10 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> I am not sure what this
You didn't say what "this" is. I'm guessing it is the item in the Lyrics
menu:

Command: Syllable Alignment
Inserts some syntax into the lyric verse to determine the alignment of
syllables under notes. Lyrics to be affected should be on the following
lines.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Lyrics
Internal Name: InsertLyricAlignment

>  is supposed to do.
> I assumed that Left would start a "series of syllables for one note"
> with the first below the note, rather than centring the words

No, it puts the same syllables under the same notes as before, just
changes the alignment of the syllables with the note-heads they belong
to.
*AND* it had a bug, now fixed (collect new version tomorrow!). The bug
is there should be a space betwee the syntax
\override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #LEFT
and the comment

%{Note: start lyrics on a new line %}

without that LilyPond doesn't know where #LEFT ends. How that came to be
lurking there I cannot fathom. Anyway just insert a space, or delete the
comment. It's only there to warn you not to put the lyrics on the same
line (for the benefit of the Denemo display, as you discovered a day or
so ago, the Denemo display is pretty dumb and can't tell where LilyPond
syntax ends).