Re: [Denemo-devel] Stems directions, offset positions, cross staff,

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Stems directions, offset positions, cross staff,
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 15:25:08 +0100

On Wed, 2016-09-28 at 10:54 -0300, Marcelo Lima wrote:
> Hi, Sorry to bother with those questions below, but there are some
> issues that the manual does not cover, and I am struggling a lot here
> to solve them without any success:
>
> 1. Stems directions: it is said somewhere on the web that in
> Notes/Rests menu it will be possible to change stems directions. Well,
> at least in versions 2.0.10 and 2.0.12 this is not true: there is no
> command for that. How can I do it?;

Have you found the commands for Voices? These are the normal way to
control stem directions. There are more primitive commands to just
control the stem direction (without affecting the up/down-ness of ties
etc) but they are normally hidden in Denemo - right click on a command
in the Notes/Rests menu and choose "More Commands" and look under
StemControl, or search for Stem in the Command Center and un-hide the
commands there. (This only if you *really* do need them).

> 2. Offset positions on 2.0.12 and 2.0.10: it seems that it is not
> working properly. I am trying to simply change rests positions,

what command are you using?

>  but when it works, it takes me more than 20 minutes to do it, and
> when it doesn't (almost always) the rests goes wherever "they want
> to", even outside the score and the visual range (they simply vanishes
> from the face of the Earth);

can you create a (very short) example and post it?

> 3. Cross Staff. Ok, thats kind of easy to do, but when you have some
> complicated crossing, like crossing every two notes to the upper staff
> in a Piano staff, the beaming result is really a mess.

It sounds like you haven't discovered how to set voice directions. There
is an example of keyboard polyphony (in Open->Open Example) that you
could look at.
Under Staffs/Voices->Voices are commands for combining note heads etc.

> Instead of only one beaming structure (like 16s, or 8s) for both the
> upper staff and the bottom one, there are two: they are shown at the
> same time, one on the top of the other, making the score very
> difficult to read, or really unprofessional.
>

> I work with contemporary music and, because of this, with contemporary
> score writing, so those editions, and more complicated stuff than
> those, are always present.
>
> Can anyone help me with those topics?

Always happy to help - are you at all aware of the LilyPond syntax that
is the ultimate control over the typesetting? When pushing the limits of
notation it becomes more necessary to be able to read and understand
what you are asking the typesetter to do.