Re: [Denemo-devel] chord symbols

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] chord symbols
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2016 18:16:25 +0100

On Wed, 2016-09-07 at 10:51 -0500, Brian Mauter wrote:
> I tried one more thing.  I added a second voice to that top staff and
> put four quarter spacers in it.  On the fourth spacer, I added a Text
> Annotation and it looks right.  Still, is there a better way?

I was playing around just now with Chord Symbols (entered as chords with
the staff set as a chord symbol staff) and I noticed that while ordinary
textual annotation doesn't show (something LilyPond calls markup) Marks
*do* show with the Chord Symbols. The command to use is
Directives->Markings->Add Mark (Text/Rehearsal/Bookmark) which is
usually keypress Shift-f9.
This allows you to design any sort of fancy markup and it will appear on
staff symbol staff and can be dragged if the positioning is not as you
desire.

BTW I was playing with this because I added a feature wanted by someone
else: easy creation of any of the 70 odd possible chord symbols. I've
added a command (in View->Palettes menu) to create a button that inserts
a chord of the type of the chord at the cursor (it asks you to name the
chord). So if you create, say a C7b13 and put the cursor on it and hit
the "Create Button for Chord Type" command it will put a button in a
palette of Chord Inserts. You can then put the cursor on any step of the
scale (sharpened or flattened), press p, <name of chord>, Enter and it
will insert that chord with the cursor note as root.

Richard