Re: [Denemo-devel] tooltip storm

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] tooltip storm
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2016 09:06:20 +0100

On Fri, 2016-09-02 at 01:40 -0400, Nathan Stewart wrote:
> Running Ubuntu Studio, both the repository version as well as current
> git make denemo almost useless with a flood of tool tips.

This is a combination of two things: first there are a lot of tooltips
(and beginner palettes) that you need to get rid of before getting down
to serious work. Choose Help->Turn off excessive tooltips to do that.

Then Gtk has a "feature" that the tooltips pop up impossibly fast and
can no longer be controlled (as of some version of Gtk). There are
settings for the speed of tooltip appearance (in Edit->Change
Preferences), but as of a certain Gtk version these don't work, and as
of that version tooltips are disabled in Denemo. (I think it is version
3.10 onwards). What version are you using? (It is printed on the
terminal at startup).

>  There doesn't seem to be any delay before they pop up, they don't go
> away unless explicitly closed, and I'm even getting some popups for
> things that don't look like they should be tooltips

those aren't tooltips, those are a (single) popup window that will give
you a running commentary on what you have just done. If you drag it into
one corner of the screen you can find out what all the various
keypresses and mousepresses do. If you dismiss it once it should stop
appearing until you do something that indicates you are lost.

Sorry for this hitting you - I'm struggling between losing all the help
Denemo offers and drowning the users when they first get the program.

Richard