[Denemo-devel] MIDI import via Neural Net

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] MIDI import via Neural Net
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 11:13:52 +0100

 I have become interested in the MIDI input again, following another flurry of
emails
on the LilyPond mailing list. I've been experimenting with a neural
network (the package is called Fann) and have got it distinguishing  a
sequence of four quarter notes from a sequence of two
dotted-quarter-eighth notes ...
It doesn't seem to be quite the right tool, as it is a classifier with a
fixed number of input and output neurons. In the case of MIDI-in we have
a stream on input events, it's more like the speech recognition problem.
I haven't been able to understand yet what sort of approach is used for
speech recognition, but I thought I might try the Fann classifier on
classifying the duration of single notes by giving it the durations of,
say, two notes on either side as context. If you or anyone else on the
list has some ideas on this I'd like to hear.