Re: [Denemo-devel] producing scores of chants

From: T. R. Valentine
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] producing scores of chants
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 12:58:50 -0500

On 16 April 2016 at 12:03, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, 2016-04-16 at 11:44 -0500, T. R. Valentine wrote:
>> I haven't found anything in the user manual
>
> Which version do you have? Version 2.0.6 is just out and the latest
> manual is always at
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=denemo.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs/denemomanual.pdf;hb=HEAD

When I tried to install the latest version, it hung up — a long list
of 'flyidsynth: error: Synthesis event queue full' in the terminal
window and it just stayed there. I tried it several times, cleaning
everything out before retrying. Even ran it as root. Same result every
time. So, I'm stuck at version 1.1.0 which is what is in the Linux
Mint repository. :-(  (Running Mint 17.3)

(But the LilyPond version is 2.16.2)

>> 1. I want to create notes without stems,
>
> You would need to insert a bit of LilyPond syntax to make the stems
> transparent - ask if that is what you meant.
>>  both a breve and a 'breve
>> with a filled-in head'
>
> Breve is in the menu of durations not sure what 'breve  with a filled-in
> head' would be.

The only way I've found to get a breve is to insert a whole note and
then use the doubling of duration. What I'd like is to be able to
generate an open-headed note (semi-breve/whole) with single or double
vertical lines on either side and a filled-headed note
(crotchet/quarter) without a stem with the single or double vertical
lines on either side since both of these are used in chants.

>>  and be able to put a string of words (verse) on
>> a single note
> surround the words with double-quotes
>
>> 2. turn off time signature
>
> There is a hide timesignature in the menu, if that is what you meant. If
> you meant to create music without automatic barlines there is that too.
>
>>  and place arbitrary bar lines where I want them

I found the hide time signature, but Denemo still wants to count the
number of beats in a measure. The only workaround I've found is to
constantly change and hide the time signature. I've attached an
excerpt of what I'm working from.

> there is a command to insert an ordinary style barline.
> If you haven't found *any* of these I suspect you are using an ancient
> version of Denemo. Generally the Command Center (View->Command Center)
> search box will help you find commands.

An ancient version for sure. I haven't really looked at the Command
Center (one of the few windows that didn't appear when I first started
Denemo!). I'll dig into it.

>> I'd also like to
>> 1. change spacing between the title and the first stave
> Score->Typesetter->Print Layout->Vertical Spacing->Markup to System
> Spacing
>
>> 2. add a composer name right-aligned between the title and first stave
>
> Look at the File->Open->Open Example->AllTitles.denemo to find the field
> you want to set (s,s let's you choose from them)
>
>> 3. change spacing between staves
>
> You may mean systems here rather than staves ...
> Score->Typesetter->Print Layout->Vertical Spacing is the right menu.
> Let me know if some particularly useful LilyPond syntax is missing.
>
>> 4. change 'Soprano & Alto' to a vertically stacked 'S A' and 'Tenor &
>> Bass' to a vertically stacked 'T B'
>
> There are some examples of setting up voices on staffs for vocal music
> (and templates as well I think, File->Open->Open Template)
>
>> 5. change the colour of a 'Textual Annotation' (a very useful feature)
>
> You will need to look up the LilyPond markup syntax for that - the
> Multi-line Text and Music command lets you insert \color xxx and so on.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.
>
> Let me know if there is something specific missing or if you need help
> with LilyPond syntax stuff.

I started with Denemo because I wasn't sure I could handle only text
input. When it comes to music notation, I'm *very* visual. Is there a
place you would recommend for LilyPond syntax?

Thanks.

--
T. R. Valentine
A rich heart may be under a poor coat.