Re: [Denemo-devel] Verse and chorus

From: Joe Wilkinson
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Verse and chorus
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 11:41:24 -0000

Examples of chorus first.
Thanks
Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Shann [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: 23 March 2016 16:20
To: Joe Wilkinson
Cc: address@hidden

On Wed, 2016-03-23 at 14:16 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> This is what I mean
> In the first movement the lyrics appear to work fine because the chorus
> line can be tacked onto just the first "verse".
> In the second movement padding is needed for verses 2,3 etc., because
> the lyrics always start on the first note (and I know of no way to put
> non-printing spaces in/

Underscore is your answer. It gives a non-printing syllable, attached is
your file modified.
But I'm not sure this is at all the right way to go about this - do you
have an example of a professionally (well) typeset edition of this sort
of music which typesets chorus and verses? I'm not at all familiar with
what this should look like, but it just "feels" wrong done with forcing
line breaks and running the music for the chorus and verse straight on
after each other.

Also, I see you have included the stanza numbers (text in this case) in
with the lyrics. The command to use is called "Stanza Number" - the help
explains (right click, Help, or tooltip if it is showing).

> And while I am at it..
> Sometimes I need chants as shown in movement 3. It would be good to be
> able to left justify the words rather than always have them centred.

Someone asked for this earlier: you insert this
 \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #LEFT
before the lyrics. Perhaps it needs a bug report to get it as a new
command?

> I have downloaded the latest version today; it was giving me some gyp
> with a modal object editor window that wouldn't disappear (if I
> minimised it it also minimised denemo).
> If this recurs I will try to give you a screen-shot.

Not sure a screenshot will explain it any better. An internet search for
"windows stuck on top in Windows 10" or similar might help.

Richard