Re: [Denemo-devel] Download Trojan Warning from Avira Antivirus

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Download Trojan Warning from Avira Antivirus
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 22:44:01 +0000

On Sat, 2016-02-13 at 23:23 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I downloaded the Denemo Versions 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 from your Page
> http://www.denemo.org/downloads-page/ .
> Both Files
>
> denemo-mingw-2.0.2.zip  and
> denemo-mingw-2.0.3.zip
>
> contain the trojan file TR/Crypt.XPACK.GEN  as Avira Antivirus reported me.
> Is the download of the portable version without trojan or virus possible?

There is a sequence of bytes in one of the libraries that causes a false
match with some virus checkers (Avast is one of them). It is extremely
unlikely that any executables on denemo.org could ever contain real
viruses, because they are created entirely on computers that don't have
any Microsoft operating system using software which has never been on
any non-free system. I have tested out downloading them and running them
(as have a number of people I'm in touch with) and there has never been
a report of an actual virus. It would be very helpful if you would
report the problem to Avira who could then confirm that it is a false
positive and fix their program.