Re: [Denemo-devel] A couple of stem questions

From: Phil (list)
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A couple of stem questions
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 06:48:27 -0500

On Thu, 2016-02-11 at 09:58 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> sorry, I was in a hurry and being a bit cryptic, Alt-v is a standard
> shortcut, a prefix for a set of two key shortcuts. So (unless your
> shortcuts are customized) you should see the status bar at the bottom
> change to say what possible second key-strokes are expected. Alt-v,1
> installs a change to voice one etc. These are "change of voice"
> commands, installing a directive at the point where the cursor is;
> they
> live in Directives->Typesetter->Voices, hopefully you could locate
> these
> via the Command Center. There are also commands under
> Staffs/Voices->Voices to set the initial voice for the staff. The use
> of
> the term voice here (LilyPond's voice commands) is somewhat in
> conflict
> with its use in Denemo where "Voice" means a staff that is typeset on
> the staff above. I think this is clarified in the manual (f1)

Thanks, that clears it up. I was expecting a dialog pop... now I know
to pay attention to the status line.

> I've typeset three of the bars in the attached, this has shown up a
> bug
> with the newly introduced organ template and with adding voices (they
> don't get the instrument sound automatically).

Here's another bug (or at least feature request): the file you sent me
was v8 but the version I have can only open v7 files.  However the GUI
only tells 'Load of file... failed', not what the problem was.  For
that I had to launch Denemo from the command line.  It was easy enough
to work around once I knew what the issue was... the bug IMO is that
the dialog should have told me that the file version was incompatible.

> > > There's an example of keyboard polyphony in the Examples. (Rather
> > > ancient ...)
> > >

> > When I attempt to File->Open->Examples, I get a "No examples
> > directory
> > in installation" dialog (as far as I can tell, I've installed all
> > the
> > Denemo packages for Debian: denemo, denemo-data, denemo-doc, ttf-
> > denemo.
>
> hmm, something wrong with the packaging - this needs a bug report to
> Debian
>

> >  Is it generally recommended to either build from source or use
> > the download from the web site rather than the Debian package?)
>
> well, I guess it depends on where you want to get help from :) But
> seriously, the binary packages from denemo.org, although they gobble
> space do avoid fights between packages over which version of the
> libraries should be installed.
> I build it, of course, and haven't had any problems doing that from
> Debian stable in many years. The website lists the packages needed.

Thanks, that's why I asked... whenever I start seeing problems like
that it's often a sign that the Debian repo versions might not be the
best ones to use.

> > Are you referring to Showcase->Sample Output->Pavana & Galliarda
> > Dolorosa on the web site?  (if so, it looks like the .denemo could
> > use
> > some updating as it doesn't render for me)
>
> Thank you! that's three bug reports generated from just one email :)

I aim to please :-)  Thank you for the help and info.

> Richard

Phil