Re: [Denemo-devel] Ornaments

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Ornaments
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 12:22:49 +0000

On Tue, 2016-02-09 at 06:34 -0500, Phil (list) wrote:
> Hello and compliments to the developers: I never imagined transcribing
> sheet music could be so quick!  One thing I'm wondering is if the
> 'Ornaments' are purely ornamental for rendered sheet music or if it is
> possible to provide specific guidance in a given a piece as to how the
> ornament should be played back on the computer / exported as MIDI?
> (when I play it back in Denemo it doesn't appear to have any effect)
>  Specifically I'm wondering about (inverted) Mordents.

Denemo's MIDI is mainly for checking that the notes are right. There is
provision for emitting any MIDI messages in the course of playing a
piece (see, in the File->Open->Example one which changes the tuning
between two 1/4 comma mean tone temperaments to allow for the shift in
key during a piece), but that is not really Denemo's purpose.
However, see

https://vimeo.com/154414223

where the MIDI is generated by the LilyPond music typesetter rather than
by Denemo. In this case the MIDI is more sophisticated (depending on the
version of LilyPond you are using), it executes grace notes, for
example.
It is intended to extend this shortly to use the articulate.ly script in
LilyPond to provide execution of trills etc.

HTH