Re: [Denemo-devel] Problem with "file load failed" Denemo 2.0.1.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Problem with "file load failed" Denemo 2.0.1.
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 18:19:55 +0000

On Mon, 2016-02-01 at 11:39 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2016 10:52 AM, "Richard Shann" <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2016-02-01 at 12:27 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> > > Thanks very much for this: I see that it is a bug affecting all
> > > versions/operating systems: it is only affecting Simple Titles,
> not Book
> > > Titles. It happens even without invoking the editor, i.e. it is
> enough
> > > to enter Čć as a simple title, save and try to reload.
> > >
> > > I still haven't understood why, but I will not doubt get it fixed
> later
> > > today.
> >
> > It seems to be a bug in guile version 1.8.8 which I am using
> > I have rebuilt with guile 2.0.11 and the present code works.
> >
> > Jeremiah - can we build against Guile 2 as standard? It looks like a
> > horrid bug to work around, and it could turn up elsewhere.
> >

> I probably can but I don't think LilyPond builds with version > 2 in
> gub.

Yes, LilyPond cannot use Guile 2

>  I know there are people working on it.

I've been following LilyPond fairly closely, I don't think progress is
being made and probably won't for a long time as there has been some bad
interactions between the main developers on each side (LilyPond/Guile).

>  I will see what I can do.

It would mean having both guile 1.8 and 2, I recall some years ago that
we had switched to Guile 2 as I had to fix problems with some features
of 1.8 not working (hence the (define-once ...) macro). But I don't know
whether we ever had windows or mac builds that used it.
This is starting to look serious - I don't think we can release a
version which could lose people their work, and worse I think 2.0.0 has
already done that (the bug is present in 2.0.0 I think). Let me know if
we can ship with Denemo using Guile 2.0, otherwise I'll have to disable
the storage of simple titles - it would mean you have to re-enter a
title if you want to edit it.