[Denemo-devel] Keywords required for the software center

From: Richard Hughes (semi-automated)
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Keywords required for the software center
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 04:08:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi!

First, apologies for the direct email. I'm emailing you directly as you've been
listed as the update contact in one or more AppData files. In the software
center we allow the user to search using case-insensitive keywords, for
instance searching for 'excel' could match Libreoffice Calc or many other free
software spreadsheet applications. At the moment we use the translated keywords
set in the desktop file, any extra <keyword> entries in the AppData file, and
then fall back to generating tokens from the name, summary and description
using a heuristic. This heuristic works most of the time, but a human can often
do much better when we know what the most important words are. I've noticed
your application does not have any manually set keywords and thought I should
bring this to your attention.

So, what do I want you to do? Basically, I would like you to add some keywords
in the denemo.desktop file or the denemo.appdata.xml AppData file. If you want
the keywords to be used by GNOME Shell as well (which you probably do), the
best place to put any search terms is in the keywords section [1] of the
desktop file. This can also be marked as translatable so non-English users can
search in their own language. This would looks something like
Keywords=3D;printer; (remember the trailing semicolon!)

The alternative is to put the keywords in the AppData file so that they are
only used by the software center and not the desktop shell. You can of course
combine putting keywords in both places. The AppData keywords can also be
translated, and would look like this:

<keywords>
<keyword>3D</keyword>
<keyword>printer</keyword>
</keywords>

Of course, you don't have to do a release with this fix straight away, and if
you have a stable branch it would be a good thing to backport this as well if
it does not add translated strings or you have no string freeze policy. Nothing
bad will happen if you ignore this email, but please be aware that matches from
keywords are ordered higher in the search results than other partial matches
from the name or summary. You also don't have to add keywords that are the same
as the application name or package name, as these are automatically added as
case insensitive search tokens.

When you've changed the file(s) and committed, please email me back and I'll
mark your application as completed. If you don't want to hear from me ever
again just edit the <update_contact> in the AppData file and change it to
somebody else. I'm not planning on emailing more than once every 6 months, so
don't worry about me spamming you with even more work to do. If you don't add
the keywords then your application will still be visible in the various
software centers, but it may be harder to find.

Thanks,

Richard

[1]
http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html#recognized-keys