Re: [Denemo-devel] data loss disaster (imminent)

From: Bric
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] data loss disaster (imminent)
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 13:56:34 -0500

On 01/02/2016 04:56 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
On Fri, 2016-01-01 at 14:41 -0500, Bric wrote:
On 01/01/2016 02:23 PM, Bric wrote:
i have a denemo file that won't open with any version.  The recent
2.0.1 binary, my old 1.2.4, my local 2.0.1 build.  Same opening
"failed" message in all three.

On the command line i see "opening file <path to file>.denemo"
success: 1

ironically

I still have the *.denemo file, but I can't tell what's wrong with it,
looking at the code, and no explanatory error messages available.

I stand to lose many hours of work here.

What happened was: I was editing about 80 bars of on-staff score,
adding chord symbols; denemo crashed, then when i reopened it, i was
counting on auto-save, which is on for me (every 5 seconds, i think).
I opted to restore from auto-save, and that loaded an empty file.

I closed the empty file without saving, and tried to open the *.denemo
file, and the open action fails.  I am looking at the XML, it seems OK
at cursory glance, and I don't know why it's being rejected.

OK, i deleted my last inserted chord in the XML file:

      <fakechord>dis:m7</fakechord>

After that, the file opened, and I continued to insert the chords,
including the above chord, which now appears in the XML file exactly as
above.

Maybe a cosmic-ray of a stray byte in the file?
the stray byte would be more likely in the memory/disk cache as you
didn't intend to remove a stray byte, you removed an entirely innocent
field, and that could have perturbed your file off of a bad patch of
disk or some such.
If you still have the file in the un-openable form I would be very
interested to see it (confidentiality respected!). (If you *do* still
have it, try and make a copy and open that...).

In my panic to save hours of work i didn't think to back up the bad file - rushed to get rid of the badness.

I will try to regenerate a bad version like you suggested.