Re: [Denemo-devel] data loss disaster (imminent)

From: Bric
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] data loss disaster (imminent)
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 14:41:03 -0500

On 01/01/2016 02:23 PM, Bric wrote:
i have a denemo file that won't open with any version. The recent 2.0.1 binary, my old 1.2.4, my local 2.0.1 build. Same opening "failed" message in all three.

On the command line i see "opening file <path to file>.denemo"
success: 1

ironically

I still have the *.denemo file, but I can't tell what's wrong with it, looking at the code, and no explanatory error messages available.

I stand to lose many hours of work here.

What happened was: I was editing about 80 bars of on-staff score, adding chord symbols; denemo crashed, then when i reopened it, i was counting on auto-save, which is on for me (every 5 seconds, i think). I opted to restore from auto-save, and that loaded an empty file.

I closed the empty file without saving, and tried to open the *.denemo file, and the open action fails. I am looking at the XML, it seems OK at cursory glance, and I don't know why it's being rejected.

OK, i deleted my last inserted chord in the XML file:

    <fakechord>dis:m7</fakechord>

After that, the file opened, and I continued to insert the chords, including the above chord, which now appears in the XML file exactly as above.

Maybe a cosmic-ray of a stray byte in the file?

Sorry, i didn't mean to cry "wolf!" - the wolf was really nearby, growling - i beat him back with an experimental maneuver that just happened to work.

Typo in my previous message - should say "one-staff", rather than "on-staff"

Happy New Year, everyone!