Re: [Denemo-devel] Cannot enter breve or longa in cadenza

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Cannot enter breve or longa in cadenza
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 22:24:20 +0000

On Sun, 2015-11-29 at 20:33 +0000, Graham King wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-11-29 at 19:45 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> > On Sun, 2015-11-29 at 18:11 +0000, Graham King wrote:
> > > I enter them within \cadenzaOn and \cadenzaOff.
> >
> > I've found out what you have discovered. If you enter a breve while the
> > cursor is on a Denemo directive (of any sort, in your case one of the
> > cadenza control directives) then, if the object before it is a breve
> > what gets inserted is a semibreve.
> > Short cuts are not involved, the same happens if you insert the breve
> > using the menu item Breve. The snippet button does insert a breve
> > successfully, it doesn't invoke the Breve command, instead it pastes the
> > snippet.
> > I'll file a bug report for this - thank you!
> >
> > Richard
> >

> It gets stranger and stranger:
>       * start a new piece of music, and enter \cadenzaOn \cadenzaOff
>         (no notes yet).
>       * click to place the cursor between the cadenza marks.
>       * cursor is now a green box with left-pointing arrow.
>       * type "22" : two crotchets (quarter-notes) appear.
>       * type "33" : two quavers appear, to the left of the crotchets.
>         Note entry appears to be backwards!
>       * place cursor between the crotchets and quavers (to ensure the
>         cursor is not on a Denemo directive).  The leftmost crotchet
>         is highlighted in green.
>       * type "-" : the rightmost quaver turns into a breve, and a
>         semibreve appears to its right.
>       * type "-" again: another semibreve appears
>       * type "=" : the breve in the place of the original rightmost
>         quaver turns into a longa and some space opens out to its
>         right
> I could make a screencast of this, but it would be far too large to
> post to the list.  Would it help to send it to you privately?
> I hope I haven't done something crass and naive, but this behaviour
> does seem a bit buggy.

No, I know what is going on pretty much. You have a slight
misunderstanding though, you cannot put the cursor "between the cadenza
marks" if they are in the same bar. The only places the cursor can be
is
      * In an empty bar
      * On an object
      * In the appending position after objects in a bar

the first of these is in the appending position as well.
Denemo always inserts before the object at the cursor - well there are
some scripts that move right and then append, but the basic built-in
thing is insert before the cursor.

I'll fix the bug tomorrow if possible.