Re: [Denemo-devel] piano music questions

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] piano music questions
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 10:46:17 +0100

On Wed, 2015-04-29 at 03:14 -0400, Ellen Schwindt wrote:
> Hello Richard and everyone,
> I'm using Denemo 1.2.3
> Is it time for new binaries?
the latest is from 18th March (see
http://denemo.org/~jjbenham/gub/uploads/?C=M;O=D

for a list of development releases. Jeremiah tried to update last night
but hit a snag, so perhaps tonight. Meanwhile, be cautious with copy and
paste of Denemo Directives (basically, do a control-s after doing copy
and paste) as there is a bug lurking there.

> I'm writing a four-hand piano piece and I have some questions relating
> to piano music.
>

> 1. how does one put in an 8va marking?
Try Ottava or 8va in the command center - it takes you to the Ottava
command Location: ObjectMenu->Directives->Markings->Spanning

> 2. is it possible to slur across staves?
yes, it will follow a voice if the voice changes staff
> 3. When you use voices, can you make a treble clef show up in one
> voice? For this I've attached a denemo file and pdf file
they aren't there ... perhaps too big?
>  to be clear. In the example file--bars 7 and 15 contain two voices in
> the secondo part--RH. I'd like those to display as treble clef notes.
> I placed a treble clef in the voice staff associated with that part,
> but it doesn't show up when I typeset.

If you save under a new name then using Staff->Delete Measures from
Cursor and Staff->Delete Measures after Cursor you can snip out just the
measures you want to talk about, that will make a small enough file to
post. (Hmm, that would be quicker if I wrote a Delete Non Selected
Measures command or even Save Selection as File...)

> 4. Related question about how to change stem direction: In 6-8 I'd
> like the primary staff to show with stems going up to differentiate
> the voices. I think I've asked this before, but I can't find how to
> change the stem direction.

search terms like "stem direction" and "voice 1" get you the relevant
commands in the Command Center search box.
Location: ObjectMenu->Directives->Typesetter->Voices for changing voice
during the music, the initial voice settings are in the Staffs->Voices
menu.

> I've lost the thread of what you wanted me to test, so I'll stick to
> this for now, but please, if you know what it was, remind me.

I have too! You will need a new version to do any useful testing ...

> The use of the foot pedal on the midi keyboard for chords,
> particularly octaves is so much easier now that it advanced only one
> note at a time--thank you!

I think there were two fixes for chords via foot pedal, so look out for
the latest version tomorrow.

Richard