Re: [Denemo-devel] New Education script::Counting half steps

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] New Education script::Counting half steps
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:06:07 +0000

On Mon, 2015-02-23 at 10:49 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 11:24 AM, Richard Shann
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>         (this is just another instalment ... I can't write for long)
>

>         You can replace this with the use of Denemo's (disp ...)
>         procedure which
>         can take any number of arguments so it would look like
>
>         (disp "You have chosen " CountHalfSteps::userinput " half
>         steps\nThe
>         answer  was " CountHalfSteps::interval "\n")
>

> I see that does make things easier. Thanks!
>

>         Another simplification - I assume none of the variables are
>         used outside
>         of the script, so there is no need to create all those global
>         variables
>         starting CountHalfSteps::
>         instead can avoid the long-winded names like
>         CountHalfSteps::userinput
>         by enclosing the entire script in a (let ....) like this
>

>         (let ((userinput #f) (...) (...))
>

> Ok. I will change this. I assume though that you would want to use
> globals if I was creating an init script.

Yes, the more common case is a variable that you want to remember from
one invocation of your script to the next.
 We have a macro (define-once ...) to use in that case, which ensures it
is initialized only once (guile 1.8 didn't need this - we just used the
undefined? procedure). You just use it at the top of the script.

I'm still unable to work on stuff mostly right now - as soon as I can
I'll push on with the release.