Re: [Denemo-devel] accidentals

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] accidentals
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 14:42:59 +0000

On Sun, 2014-11-09 at 08:13 -0500, Ellen Schwindt wrote:
> Can I get what denemo calls a "reminder" accidental to appear without
> parentheses?
cautionary accidentals, in the same menu. Shift-/ is the standard
shortcut, the one with parentheses doesn't have a standard shortcut.

>  I think that an accidental affects all the same pitches (not in other
> other octaves) in a staff as described in Gardner Read's Music
> Notation. But Denemo doesn't notate out-of-key notes

are you referring to the Denemo display here? Or the LilyPond default
typesetting?

>  with an accidental if I have already played that pitch in another
> octave in the measure. I would like it to. Any suggestions?

Hmm, I see that the command for choosing the accidental style is just a
stub, but it will probably give you what you want.
Directives->Typesetter->(Print) Accidental Printing

this says it will give you a choice, but in fact it just gives you a
style called "modern", which is probably the one you want. (LilyPond
defaults in general to a perceived "golden age" of music engraving in
late 19th c. Germany, which looks a bit quaint nowadays.)
The command inserts a rather anonymous looking Denemo Directive that
changes the accidental style.
If "modern" doesn't suit it will be possible to replace "modern" with
various other styles, one of which hopefully is what you are used to.

Richard