Re: [Denemo-devel] Cannot print or get print preview

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Cannot print or get print preview
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 08:50:15 +0100

On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 12:48 +1000, LGray wrote:
> Thanks Richard. I tried what you advised, but it is beyond me.
> Highlighted at the bottom is:
> <<
> #(score-override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * 3 4) 1 4)
> #(score-override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * 3 4) 2 4)
> #(score-override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * 4 4) 1 4)
> #(score-override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * 4 4) 2 4)
> #(score-override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * 4 4) 3 4) <<

ah! you have an old version of Denemo which would require an old version
of LilyPond.
There is a much better way than downgrading your LilyPond though... see
below.

> \MvmntIStaffI

[...]
> Also, the playback only works for maybe once, then goes all blurry and
> staticcy. If I close Denemo and open again, it is ok for once.

Playback has improved enormously over the last couple of years - I'm
afraid these distro's carry ancient versions of Denemo.

> Also, the lyrics will not come through into the MIDI file.

Denemo's MIDI output is just for checking that you have the music
correct really. For more sophisticated things there are programs that
generate detailed MIDI from the LilyPond output of Denemo, or indeed
from pdf. Ask about this if interested.

> I have gone back to my old Windows XP program MusicWorks, which for
> some reason starts the MIDI file on the second note.
>
> I look forward to Mint coming up with an updated package.

You don't need to! There is a binary package available on denemo.org
This does not require root permissions, it is can be placed entirely
under your home directory and so does not affect any other programs you
have - and works no matter which other versions of libraries Mint is
using. (The downside is it is 50Mb in size, but with modern disks that
doesn't matter any more).
Likewise there is a binary of LilyPond on lilypond.org which is
self-contained. It means you get everything up-to-date, without
disturbing anything in Mint.
The link (on the downloads page) is:

http://denemo.org/downloads/denemo-1.1.4-0.linux-x86.tar.xz

we are just now releasing version 1.1.6 which has much improved lyrics
navigation, useful if you have a lot of verses and parts.

Please include the list in your reply, as if you have had a problem
others listening will have hit that too and they will find the answer if
it is on the mailing list archive.

Richard