[Denemo-devel] [bug #40878] ld: library not found for -lporttime

From: Ryan Schmidt
Subject: [Denemo-devel] [bug #40878] ld: library not found for -lporttime
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 22:51:02 +0000

Follow-up Comment #2, bug #40878 (project denemo):

I assumed that some prior version of portmidi had used two separate libraries
but that the current version no longer did. I checked the portmidi changelog,
but unfortunately what I found says:

 * 17Jan07 Roger Dannenberg
 * - Went back to single library in OS X for both portmidi and porttime

This implies that on OS X there's only a single portmidi library but on other
systems there might still be both. If this is true, this is unfortunate
because it means that developers using OS X are likely to write software that
doesn't build on other systems, and vice versa.

portmidi doesn't seem to provide a pkg-config .pc file or portmidi-config
script either.

Perhaps the portmidi developers can recommend a snippet you can use in your
configure script to get the correct library flags to use.

I am not well versed in writing configure scripts but I believe autotools has
the capability to determine if a symbol is in a library, or at least to test
if a program compiles and runs. So you should be able to write a small program
that uses a symbol that would be in porttime in Linux, and try to link it with
only -lportmidi. If it succeeds, use -lportmidi only. You could run a second
test like the one you already run using both -lportmidi and -lporttime; if
that works, use both. If neither version works, complain that portmidi is
missing.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40878>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/