Re: [Denemo-devel] Help Needed

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Help Needed
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:34:24 -0600

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 04:08:11PM +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-12-11 at 09:26 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 08:17:54PM +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> >  The situation at present is that an experienced LilyPond developer is
> > > unable to test run Denemo because he cannot install the development
> > > libraries to build it without dependency problems with stuff he already
> > > has and the GNU/Linux binary does not work on his Ubuntu system.
> > > It means that the easiest way people can try the latest Denemo is to use
> > > a proprietary operating system, which is Bad.
> >
> > I have an ideas that should improve things. Maybe we could use gentoo to
> > build us a statically build denemo for GNU/linux.  So I took the stage 3
> > gentoo install tarball and uncompressed it into a dir. Then chrooted the
> > filesystem it created. Then I compiled denemo 1.1.0 in it. I set portage
> > USE varialbe to create static libs, creating .a files. I see that there are
> > also the dynamic .so files for the libs also. Denemo unfortunately is
> > linking to the .so instead. So if I can figure out how to fix that. Maybe I
> > could try building everything without shared libs.
>
> I guess the thing to try first is evince, as that was where we ran into
> the sand on MXE IIRC. (Perhaps also the gdk-pixbuf-loaders thing ...).
>
> But from this, I gather that build .rpm and .deb packages is not a good
> way to go? Or is it just that we need help or advice on whether that
> would be useful?

Yes, We could use the OpenSuse build system to build the .rpm, or .deb. I will
have to try and remember my old password. If a user clicks on one of these
files will their package manager fetch all its dependencies from the distros
repository? If so that is probably a better way to go for normal users. I used
it once before but I could not figure out how to meet all of denemo
dependencies in the OpenBuild system. Now it seems some of the work has been
done for us.

The only advantage to the static approach is to have slotted versions for
testing. You could have a setup where denemo only exists in a dir and be able
to do:
./denemo-1.1.0/denemo
or
./denemo-1.0.8/denemo