Re: [Denemo-devel] Poor playback

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Poor playback
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 09:38:26 +0000

On Fri, 2013-11-29 at 23:56 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> I should probably make a bug report about this but I am having playback with
> the 1.1.0 release.

I just built 1.1.0 in my test user's local directory (I installed
without root permissions in ~/local) and ran it in ~/local/bin.
It behaved correctly on this (fast, Debian) machine.
I have also tested the windows version for playback (moderate 2-cpu
laptop) and all seems well there too.

> 1. Playback sound is all broken up and the timings is off *unless* denemo is
> minimized or the window is .

Try the test that is in Denemo's sources at
tests/Interactive/Playback/CursorToEnd.denemo

This is a large file which tries to start playing from the cursor that
is placed near the end. This did not work before 1.1.0 but does now.

>    Is this a scheduling priority thing.

The threading libraries do not provide any control over priority
(surprisingly) but it works for reasons that are completely unclear to
me. Works in the sense that the audio keeps on going even while all
sorts of drawing and page turning are going on.

>  It seems that the graphical rendering is slowing my computer down enough to
> disrupt the audio.

This sounds very similar to the effect Bric reported - he was noticing
that the cursor animation was disruptively slow. To test this create a
few dozen measures and then Ctr-Right a few times until it has to shift
the display, the cursor blob should shrink down in a few 1/10ths of a
second. Do you have this effect too?
I can only guess that it is some sort of trouble with how the graphics
are wired up (at the other end of gtk).

> 2. I see ctrl-f5 is supposed to play from curson on. When I try hitting
> Ctrl-F5 it does not work.

I saw this just now when I had 1.1.0 invoked from the src directory
where it was built - it picked up menus and shortcuts from another
version (presumably the system one below /usr/) - you need to have a
clean installation to be sure.