[Denemo-devel] Help Needed

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Help Needed
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 10:03:50 +0000

There appears to be a bug in one of the libraries that Debian Stable
distributes that is impacting Denemo. This may be present in other
distributions, indeed it may impact Windows versions. Could anyone able
to build the current git master branch test the following:

Get an empty score, put in a bar of quarter notes and Export as MIDI to
test.mid.
Get an empty score and click on the first button of the new MIDI import
palette - the button marked  "⬅ MIDI", choose the file test.mid from the
file chooser.
If the program hangs you will need to kill it as it is trying to create
a click track of millions of bars in length. If all is well it will ask
for a track number.
Please report back success or failure (and distro, whether you have
libsmf-dev installed etc ...)

Richard

FWIW
The story behind this is that the call to get the length of the MIDI
file in seconds is returning a large value. It does not do this if you
use the embedded libsmf that comes with Denemo (ie if you do not have
libsmf installed on your system) nor does it do it if you execute a copy
of the smf_get_length_seconds() function). The reason it is important is
that it may be affecting versions of Denemo already in use, as up until
now I suspect the only use we have made of this function is to determine
when to stop playing; so probably the worst effect might be that you
have to hit Stop yourself when the piece has finished. With the new MIDI
import I am using this function to determine the number of bars to
generate for the imported track and it naturally has problems generating
millions of bars.