Re: [Denemo-devel] lilypond version weirdness

From: Bric
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] lilypond version weirdness
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 12:20:20 -0400

On 10/21/2013 08:39 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 09:43 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
[...]
Denemo is currently outputting \version "2.16" unless you set
Score->Score Properties->Paper->LilyPond Version

!?! How would one *intuit* to find it there? Especially since other, higher-level menu items refer to "lilypond", whereto it would be more appropriate to attach.

Or is that what your "eek!" is referring to?

(eek!, that is some horrible old built-in thing)

Denemo does have code for detecting the installed LilyPond version,
but
it has been disabled for a while now due to some complications (with
windows I would guess).
Actually, the main complication is this: if you set the LilyPond version
in the score properties dialog then when you open the same score a year
or so later LilyPond will complain that the version is old. So, instead
the default is for Denemo to output the current (stable) LilyPond
version statement. On GNU/Linux we could pick up the actual installed
LilyPond version and use that (and indeed, we could apply the convert-ly
utility to the Denemo LilyPond output, code to do which is also present
in Denemo, but lying unused).

Roger. Thanks for the uninstall script tip for lilypond (duh! i missed it earlier)

I presume you are aware that you can specify which of your installed
LilyPonds to use? (Via the prefs, Externals tab).

Yes. But no. I did specify my "/usr/local/bin/lilypond" version there (which is 2.17.7) , but it made no difference in the *.ly file. Anyhow, with my 2.16 gone, there's nothing more I can do to/with denemo about that... (unless I misunderstood), until denemo is coded to generate higher-version compatibility (requirement)