Re: [Denemo-devel] another stupid question

From: Bric
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] another stupid question
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 04:58:23 -0400 (EDT)

> On October 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 15:06 -0400, Bric wrote:
> >
> > > On October 2, 2013 at 3:01 PM Bric <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > Uuh... how do you split a measure, at cursor?
> > >
> > > (I must be blind/slow)
> > >
> >
> > Yes!  I was blind!
>
> Not at all. I set about creating a command that I thought was there,
> wrote the script then found it in the menu system. It is a serious
> problem, finding commands even when you know they are there. It is only
> going to get worse as the vast number of things you can do with LilyPond
> all have their own devoted users.
> Eloi bravely offered to tackle this problem, but it is a hard nut to
> crack...

Thanks.

For now, I think, a more realistic goal would be adding searchability in the
"manage command set" dialogue.

Such that when you start typing it pulls up the commands containing your typed
string.  Also a button (or drop-down) to filter out only the commands that have
(an) assigned keyboard shortcut(s).

That way you can manage the assigned keyboad shortcuts, and generate a list of
such (as in "look-up table"). Right now you've got to scroll through a huge list
of code-looking "words" that are merely synonyms of the descriptors in the menus
(not always instantly recognizable at that). And the existing list can't be
sorted alphabetically or by checked/unchecked (assigned/un-assigned).

Consequently, to uncheck/remove an associated shortcut is quite time-consuming.

there are a few other miscellania that seem like relatively quick fixes.

Improving playback, i think:  Instant playback is still quirky, and it would be
supercool, super helpful to have click-playback, and even cursor-right playback
or something like that (to cursor forward from note to note and hear the notes,
at your own, manual cursoring pace).  I believe Rosegarden has click-playing,
for example.  Right now, in denemo you have to delete and retype a note or
flatten/sharpen it (!) in order to hear it in isolation (outside of automatic
full playback).

It would be ABSOLUTELY INVALUABLE to be able to hear a vertical slice of the
music by clicking on a note in that vertical stack (across all the staffs, if
one wishes, or just the vertical stack in a particular staff, depending on
supplemental key (i.e., a Ctrl+click might play across all staffs, while
alt+click would play just the staff you're clicking in))

sorry about getting long-winded and long-wishful.

thanks again for your hard work.