Re: [Denemo-devel] XML translation

From: Éloi Rivard
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] XML translation
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 12:13:12 +0200

Some more doc: https://developer.gnome.org/gtkmm-tutorial/3.0/sec-internationalization-intro.html.en

2013/5/9 Éloi Rivard <address@hidden>

2013/5/9 Richard Shann <address@hidden>
On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 21:24 +0200, Éloi Rivard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On the po branch, make update-po now read strings directly from XML.
>
> It consists in:
>
> - Add tooltip and label as keywords (actually tags as keywords are
> supported)

this is where you add options to XGETTEXT macro, right? so that xgettext
when run knows about those fields holding translatable strings?

Yes, it is in the Makevars file.

> - Make extract_all generate XML_POTFILES.in
It still also generates commandscripts/init.scm, right?
but we need git rm commandscripts/not init.scm I guess?
No. XML_POTFILES only contains xml files, not scm ones.

> - Tell xgettext that actions/menu files are Glade type file.
This is where you have exploited the fact that telling xgettext this is
good enough to parse xml, right?

Yes.

> You talked about adding some dependency to xgettext.
Sorry, this was a miscommunication. What I was imagining is that we
might get a build-dependency for Denemo on some further package called
glade. As I understand it, this patch is not doing that at all, it is
just a way of getting xgettext to extract the strings we want from our
xml.

>  Well, looking at the xgettext code, it seems that they support the
> very first versions of Glade. It xgettext keeps compatibility with old
> file format, one could think it won't break very soon.
right - that would be a slight danger, that since xgettext glade support
is not targetted at doing what we will be doing (parsing xml) it could
break. The xml support idea sounds like something xgettext people will
be happy to keep once it is suggested to them.

> Plus I made a feature request to generalize Glade string extraction to
> XML files. Maybe it will change someday ?

yes - I think they will be happy to know that they have got more than
they thought (xml plus glade support) and will continue to support the
use of xgettext for xml files.

I just had an answer. They say that maybe it will overlap with tools like intltool.
I didn't know this tool. https://launchpad.net/intltool . It is a program collection specialized in data type (not code) translatable string extractions, like XML (and .ini, .desktop etc.)
There some interesting things : for instance intltool-update can extract strings from files and set the in a .h file so that xgettext is able to parse it.
Maybe it is a better idea to use this since it is a dedicated tool and not a xgettext hack. Plus this program has 10 years old, it might not break early :)

> Please tell me what you think of this patch, and if I can merge

I ran make and make dist ok on this branch, but I didn't get extract_all
to work - it should just happen via top level make, right? I get
"nothing to be done for all" doing make in the utils directory. So I am
not clear that this is going.
And then I don't yet have any way of testing translations. But with my
separate user account I should be able to safely set this up (without
risking turning the original strings into translated ones as happened to
me once on doing "Save Command Set" ...). I tried export LANG=en_GB but
I still got the untranslated strings running denemo after doing this.
The idea is to execute ./extract_all.sh so it can fill XML_POTFILES, and then go into the po directory and do make update-po But I am not very satisfied with it, it should be fully automated :)
The test I did is :
- Edit actions/menus/MainMenu/EditMenu/ConvertDrum2GmSingleSelection and add a dummy XML tag <tooltip>foobar</tooltip>
- run make update-po
- grep -RI foobar , and I saw that the string "foobar" was present in all po files.

What do you think, should we keep it like this or use intltool in addition ? I think intltool might be the proper way.

Richard