Re: [Denemo-devel] New message from Jeremiah Benham

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] New message from Jeremiah Benham
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 10:03:49 +0100

On Fri, 2013-04-19 at 14:56 -0600, Arlan Bergoust wrote:
> Thanks Jeremiah,
> Arlan
>

> Hello,  I was refered here by Jeremiah Benham. I'd love to start using
> deenemo, actually have but with limited success because I've only used
> the program on a windows based OS . I'm looking at the GNU.org site
> now and thinking about installing "musix GNU/linux" for use with
> Denemo.
Denemo is better tested on GNU/Linux, but I only have direct experience
using Debian on GNU?Linux. On windows the current version plays back an
octave high, strangely.

>   Any suggestions, ..things I should no before going ahead? Should I
> just stick with windows and try to fix some of the problems somehow?
> Thanks.   Below is my initial question to Jeremiah.
>
> I'm having a lot of difficulty on my windows system (XP Pro), low
> memory etc. Is this commonamong pc?
This is a machine problem - the performance on windows and GNU/Linux
will be similar. Turn off continuous typesetting (e.g. dismiss the print
view window, or change the Continuous button to Manual via the menu).
>  anything I can do. Does not typeset,
what, never? or slowly? Typesetting is very slow, because it is saving
you the job of positioning all the notation by hand which is generally
needed if you use wysiwyg programs. On a fast machine it can keep up
(see https://vimeo.com/user17117242/videos where the demos are done on a
quad core machine). On a slow machine you enter the music first then
click Typeset and go and have a break.

>  playback,
playing back via Denemo on a slow machine is problematic. Instead
File->Export MIDI and listen to the MIDI file.

>  import midi...
Import MIDI is problematic with all music notation programs, MIDI is not
designed for storing music notation, what you get depends very much on
how and why the MIDI was created.

HTH