Re: [Denemo-devel] Menu fonts

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Menu fonts
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:50:58 +0000

On Thu, 2013-03-14 at 07:13 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2013 12:00 PM, "Richard Shann" <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2013-03-13 at 09:48 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > > I have been working on the darwin build the past couple of days.
> The
> > > staff and the clef fonts are now displaying. I am wondering what
> font
> > > is used for the gtk menus.
> > Oh, also, I seem to recall that putting a font in ~/.fonts would
> cause
> > it to be found. In fact I see that fc-cache searches in this place
> and
> > others - perhaps running fc-cache is the step that is missing from
> the
> > installation (I take it denemo.ttf is present
> in /usr/share/fonts ...
> > soemwhere?)
> >

> Thanks for your help. I ran fc-cache along with a few other commands
> to allow me to pull this off in a mach-o bundle. Then I ran a command
> the pango-querymodules command and piped it to the bundles
> etc/pango/pango.modules. This allowed the fonts to show. In a mach-o
> bundle, everthing exists in a directory called Denemo.app that appears
> like a single file to the regular mac os x user. So the fonts are
> installed in Denemo.app/Contents/share/fonts. Since Denemo.app is
> relocatable I am going to have to set these environment varaibles
> everytime denemo is started either by script or in c.

As your probably know that is what those sections in main.c that use
g_setenv for the different OS are for. If you can do it via a wrapper
shell script that's good, makes it more accessible to people who may
need to modify an installation. LilyPond does this when you use its
installer, putting a script in the user's bin that sets environment
variables and then runs the executable.
It sounds like we can release 1.0 with Windows and Mac binaries which is
ideal. With some demo videos available at the same time I think we could
attract attention to the great potential that Denemo has. I think a demo
of a Handel figured bass exercise would be good too, as it illustrates
how scriptable Denemo is. Those exercises are quite short, so make a
good demo, and the checking for consecutives once you have completed the
exercise is impressive (thanks to Nils :)