Re: [Denemo-devel] Video Demos

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Video Demos
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 21:50:36 +0100

Il 11/03/2013 21:26, Richard Shann ha scritto:
>  I think we will reach the point soon that we will need to host the
>videos on youtube and link or embed them on denemo.org. Videos take up
>alot of space. More people will discover it on youtube anyway. I guess
>this requires gnash or flash to watch though.
Must be something - I seem to remember that videos on youtube don't
display on my box - something proprietary I've no doubt.

If you enable HTML5 trial here:
http://www.youtube.com/html5

you can view it with any modern browser.
This should work for sure for any video recently updated. It may not work for old videos, which have only have flash or other nasty file formats.

So I'd suggest to upload .webm or .ogg files to Youtube. When you embed the video on denemo.org, it will be up to the users viewing in the flash or html5 player.

> >just have to figure out how to composite these two together. Any
> >suggestions welcome.
>
>I have used cinelerra before. It worked well if you export to raw
>uncompressed quicktime then use ffmpeg to put it in compressed format
>like ogv or something. This was several years ago and there are
>probably better or simpler programs out there by now.
I've had a read up about that now - looks like it would work - something
strange about its licensing though.

Yes, Cinelerra has some licensing limitations. I can't remember if it's just about codec or something else. In fact it's not packaged in official Debian repository, it's in deb-multimedia.org

I suggest this tutorial:
http://www.g-raffa.eu/Cinelerra/HOWTO/

I've never used Cinelerra seriously, but I know that it's still the best non-linear video editor on Linux.
Kdenlive is considered the second best option.
--
Federico