Re: [Denemo-devel] The missing regex in mxe build

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The missing regex in mxe build
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:00:21 -0600

In git, I pushed a change to configure.ac that seems to fix the portmidi issue of needing --disable-portmidi.

Jeremiah

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Jeremiah Benham <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:05 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, 2013-02-18 at 19:10 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:

> Yes, I patched evince - then tried linked denemo with it and the pdf
> backend. It fails because auto-tools has chosen to link with the C
> library while the libpdfdocument.a requires C++. I am currently trying
> to link to the C++ libraries. Then it looks like there is also cairo
> stuff unresolved...

I found a way to link using the g++ libraries, but it requires going
back to the Makefile.am stage. You put
nodist_EXTRA_denemo_SOURCES = dummy.cxx
into Makefile.am in the src directory, and this causes it to use g++ for
compiling the src files and hence links in the c++ libraries.
I think I have this working with the git master branch.
*BUT* whenever I generate a tarball from git master (using make dist) I
get something which won't work inside mxe, this time I get

make[3]: *** No rule to make target `../../denemo/libsmf/smf.c', needed

This looks like you are not in the denemo directory:
`../../denemo/libsmf/smf.c',
This is probably why it is failing. This is my script for creating the tarball:
rm -rf denemo
git clone -b master git://git.savannah.gnu.org/denemo.git
cd denemo
./autogen.sh
./configure --disable-portmidi
make dist

Note I have to ./configure with --disable-portmidi. I don't know how to get --enable-portmidi to work. I don't know why that is not working. I will spend a little more time on it later. Portmidi does not have a .pc file so pkg-config can't get the linking and compiler/header info. My portmidi that I modified and used with the cross compiler does install a .pc files. I don't change denemo's configure.ac to use it though because it is very unlikely that distros are going to use my repackaged portmidi. After some googling I see that other projects have done something similar. Maybe portmidi upstream would accept a patch. Then we would have to wait until the patch's get in to the portmidi that is distributed by all the distros. I will look at 0.9.6 configure.in to see if I accidentally changed something.

Jeremiah
by `libsmf_a-smf.o'.  Stop

before I was getting something similar with portaudio, or portmidi or
some such.

So, question:
How are you generating the release candidate tarballs that appear on
denemo.org/downloads?

Without being able to create a tarball myself that will build with mxe I
can't go back to the Makefile.am stage (as the tarball has that step
already done).