Re: [Denemo-devel] The 1.0 release

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The 1.0 release
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:45:44 +0000

On Sun, 2013-01-20 at 00:27 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> This binary also only has alsa in for midi. Is it really
> important to have portmidi support on the linux binary?
I guess it is fairly important as the goal is something that just works
out of the box, which it doesn't if the alsa connections have to be
made. I think this will all work once we sort out why the portmidi code
is not getting linked in (e.g. on that mingw build I tried). I saw the
libportmidi.a on the link line and it appeared to have the symbols
needed in it, but it still did not link.

Now, I don't recall (from >10 years ago) seeing .a files put on the link
line like .o files, but I would imagine the linker would either throw an
error or extract all the .o files from the library and treat them as if
they were on the link line. So, in brief, I guess this is ok. But it
seems pointless to use the ar program to put those .o files into a
library only to have the linker get them out again. I guess we have
ended up doing this because the portmidi code has its makefiles set up
to generate libraries? But really we should then be using -lportmidi to
link to the library generated rather than putting the library on the
link line directly... I don't know if any of these ruminations can
help :)