Re: [Denemo-devel] bugs (new user)

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] bugs (new user)
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 23:30:16 -0600

On 11/15/2012 03:40 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
2)Quitting denemo fails consistently.....compiles Lilypond then partially
> freezes with the window still open and the process still listed in the
> task manager.  The window  still has execution; I can drag it around the
> desktop and I can click the red X to tell it to shut down again, whereupon
> Windows responds with a "this program has stopped responding...." message.
>  I respond with "end now" and finally it quits.  If I did a save before I
> quit, everything is intact when I restart the program.
This is a bug in Denemo on windows. It is actually another copy of
windows that has been started to make a thumbnail, and that is hanging
on exit because the portaudio library deliberately hangs. The
thumbnailing should not be attempted on windows (as it is not used by
windows) - 1st bug, *and* we should be compiling portaudio with a flag
to make it not do that hanging (bizarrely, there is a flag to turn this
behavior off - I have no idea why they think it is useful).
Should we have the thumbnail code commented out in windows. Is that what the code in screenshot.[c,h] does? In a branch I called apple I have -DWITHOUTH_SCREENSHOT commenting out this code because It does not compile for mac with a native quartz backend. Now that I am thinking about it.... maybe the pango font issue would be resolved if I used the x11 backend to gtk/pango/cairo thing. Without some hacking it will probably feel weird on that platform because mac users expect to close an application with apple_key-q. we use ctrl-q. print is usually apple-p. Can these be changed with a command set or something?

I will look into the portaudio thing. That is probably what is causing the crash in the Linux binary snapshot when the preferences save. I think the prefdialog does an audio system restart every time the preferences are saved.