Re: [Denemo-devel] Audio Mixer

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Audio Mixer
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:08:48 -0500

On 03/28/2012 11:19 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 10:16 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
On 03/13/2012 05:05 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
There is a first draft of the audio mixer in git now.
With the File->Open->Open Source Audio command you can select a file
(must match your frame rate, and have two channels) to mix with the
usual Denemo synthesizer output.
I am confused here. I am getting this error when loading a .wav file:
sndfile: No Error. sample rate is 44100 channels 2 containing 16539263
That is just debug chatter - it is saying there is no error in the
rate 44100 and the right number of channels. There are 16539263 samples
in it, which should be 16539263/44100 seconds IIRC. There is actually
nothing done if the sample rate were wrong, I am not sure what would
result. But what you have is fine. I think something bad happens if you
load a non-audio file by mistake (restart denemo). I have only
tested .ogg files so far.

Ok. I got this working. I have not tested it much yet though. We will need to have some visual indicator of the fact that it succeeded in loading the audio.

Jeremiah
How is the sampling rate that denemo expects set?
The audio mixer here is hard-coded to expect 44100, it could be set to
expect Denemo.prefs->sample_rate or whatever it is called.
Once you have the "No Error" message you should be able to use
Playback->Audio->Synchronize Audio which will play the audio (lh
channel) and take keypresses from you (space bar) to time the measures
by.

Richard

  Or.. What is the rate
that it expects?

Jeremiah

   The "mixing" is done in the crudest
possible manner, taking one stereo channel from each.
When you have source audio loaded, additional widgets appear in the
playback controls to set the volume relative to the synth output, and to
set the lead-in - delay or trim before the audio starts.
Under the Playback->Audio menu are commands to perform bar-by-bar
synchronization. You press the space bar once for each bar in the audio,
and Denemo creates a timing track - a staff with a whole measure rest
and a tempo setting for each measure.
On my machine the accuracy of this synchronization is only a few
percent, but my machine is very old, please let me know how this works
on your machine. It may be that the synchronization script should listen
for every second bar or so.

The original motivation for this feature is creating a transcription
from an audio source. Once synchronized, when you press play the score
and the audio playback in synch. You can create a loop, editing and
listening while the music plays back.

Other possibilities
        * I imagine that it would be possible to create extra written
          parts to an audio track using this feature.
        * It would be possible to output audio in the same way that we
          currently output MIDI notes (e.g. on entering a note we output
          the pitch via MIDI). So, for example, we could output
          spoken/sound-effect feedback on change of prevailing duration,
          start of triplet etc. At the moment, we are limited to GM Midi
          instruments, as used for example for the rhythm feedback.

Comments welcome!