Re: [Denemo-devel] Measure Backgrounds

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Measure Backgrounds
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 14:36:35 +0100

Thanks for the feedback.
On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 13:13 +0200, Nils Gey wrote:
> Hello Richard,
>
> 1) the background colours hide the next barline.
yes, this was serendipitous: it is good because the "barline" is invalid
in this case, that is, if you print there will *not* be a barline there,
so not showing one is good.
> 2) the background is on a layer above the notes! But somewhat transparent so
> notes fade to grey in there.
yes, this is because the notes have already been drawn before the
fullness of the measure is known. I think it may be good to play around
with the amount of transparency and the depth of the color. Any thoughts
on these?
 By writing a significantly different algorithm it would of course be
possible to determine the fullness before drawing the notes, but I have
no enthusiasm for that.
> 3) Same is true for the selection, it is behind the colouring. Also if you
> select a whole measure it becomes "white"
again this is forced by the structure of the code at present. But there
was a strangeness with the selection and the coloring which I have
removed. Is it now sensible?

> 4) Good idea to make the last measuse always white!
I have done a bit more (this morning) so that the last measure is always
white unless it is overfull. This is because it is valid when you have
an upbeat, and also it is nicer not to have the blue coloring appearing
as you start to fill a measure in the case where you are filling in the
notes in music playing order (e.g. transcribing). Instead, it only
appears if you delete notes in a measure somewhere in the score or
overfill.
A further tweak concerns the end bar sign, which does not get printed if
you have a LilyPond directive at the end of a measure - this is
reflected in the display now.

Richard