Re: [Denemo-devel] Modifying Denemo.ttf

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Modifying Denemo.ttf
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 09:06:34 +0100

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 13:34 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On 08/02/2011 05:55 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
> > I have pushed the new font to git. You can see it on the notes and rests
> > toolbar and in the Notes/Rests->xxx Duration menus and the tooltips for
> > the help for these. For me, they are still way too small - perhaps
> > inside LibreOffice they looked differently, or you just have better
> > eyesight!
> I see that the fonts are small. I LibreOffice I used only the denemo
> font at size 22. I am attaching a pdf. Can we just tell denemo to render
> the fonts larger? Are we using more fonts other then Denemo.ttf?

Ah, now I understand - at 22pt the music symbols are small but
distinguishable. This size of font is the sort of thing used in
powerpoint presentations, though not much else. Books for example are
set in 12 or 14pt (???).

> > I think the glyphs need to be made into caricatures of the real music
> > shapes, so that they are instantly distinguishable at the default font
> > size.
>
> Would we then increase the rest of the fonts also like "a-z, A-Z 0123..
> etc..."
Absolutely not! The whole point is to change the music glyphs relative
to the alphabetical stuff, so the two can be used together at default
size. If you make a glyph too tall it forces the height of the whole
font up (so menu items become spaced further apart). So we have to use
all the height available but distort the shapes to keep e.g. the 1/4
note distinguishable from the 1/2 note.
Basically, this is just a matter of increasing the notehead size, and
scaling up the rests (I confess I hadn't seen this quite clearly until I
saw your 22pt examples). In fact, thinking about it, it should be
possible just to reduce the height and thickness of the stem, and then
scale up the whole glyph to fill the character box. The result will be a
rather dumpy looking 1/4 note which still can be distinguished from the
1/2 note at default font size.

> > Big noteheads and short stems, and bulging out of the allowed
> > space sideways if need be - we can always put spaces around them. Mostly
> > also I think they need lifting up to be on the line - we can steal a bit
> > of height by dropping some of them a bit below the line if needed (e.g.
> > to get a lot of flags in).
>
> I noticed the larger rests with more flags are positioned a little bit
> lower then the other rests. The same is not true when it comes to the
> notes.
>

> > This is just my take on the appearance - I've attached one of the
> > tooltips as an example, the little mark that looks a bit like a comma is
> > actually a 1/8th rest in the new font. Let me know what you think, and
> > anyone else is welcome to comment on what would be a good way forward.
>
> Is this entirely the denemo font?
The example may be entirely the Denemo.ttf font, or it may be that it is
using some other font and then doing font substitution to get the
musical symbols - this does not matter to us, the font size is all that
is important. The gtk default size is quite a small size, which you can
alter using .gtkrc (I believe); making the font used larger eats up
space on the screen (all the menus get taller etc) - it would be quite
difficult to work with a large font size on a normal-sized screen. So we
need to alter the font internally so that the music symbols are as
legible as possible relative to the alphabetical characters.

Richard