Re: [Denemo-devel] 1) selecting with keyboard 2) swing notes

From: Nils Gey
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] 1) selecting with keyboard 2) swing notes
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 23:22:40 +0100

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 15:16:58 -0500 (EST)
Bric <address@hidden> wrote:

> I see significant differences between the two versions. I guess I'll have to
> do
> lots of reading.

Maybe not reading. Browsing through the menus is maybe an alternative way. Most
of the commands have small tooltips/help. You can also join #denemo IRC channel
on irc.freenode.org where we hang out and ask questions there. There is a chat
in Denemo->Help for this, if you don't have an IRC-client.

> In 0.8.10 I was beginning to love the feature of being able to type the "A"
> key
> and produce the "A" note therewith, same for B,C,D,E, etc.  That seems to be
> missing in the composer mode, in 0.8.22 can one hybridize features, across
> different modes?

One of the concepts in composer mode is to not block the letter keys with notes
but use them for real fast function access. The preferred way of inserting here
is to enter notes by duration (number keys) and use the cursor-keys to specify
the pitch.
However, I am currently preparing a way to insert notes through names in
composer mode. Maybe two different ways, one pc-keyboard -> piano with a toggle
and one just by names. However please note that this will take two keystrokes
or modkey+key.

"Hypbrid": Profiles are just different keyboard shortcuts, there is no magic in
here. You can rewrite any keybinding in Denemo via Edit->Customize Commands ->
Manage Command set.

>Also, how come insert of an empty bar (with the "M" key) happens BEFORE the
> current bar?? it's frustrating... you want to insert a bar FOLLOWING the bar
> you
> are in, not BEFORE...

You normally don't need to because Denemo creates the new measure automatically
if the old one is full. However I can understand that feeling, thats why you
just can press "Tab" here :)

> Yes, I know, newbie talk (suspiciously impatient newbie... I am just very
> excited to have discovered this app, and can't wait to use it. :-)) I will hit
> the manual and docs.

I have no problems answering this kind of mails. Please ask right away. No
software without users :)

Nils
Denemo