Re: [Denemo-devel] Copying/pasting between staffs

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Copying/pasting between staffs
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 08:16:09 +0000

On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 21:02 -0800, Ken Restivo wrote:
> This is even weirder.
>
> I wrote this bassline, input it in bass clef, then copied it to the guitar
> staff above it, which is G clef.
>
> http://restivo.org/misc/denemo4.png

This is purely a drawing bug in the display - the pasted notes are
remembering how they were drawn before, and displaying themselves
wrongly. Workaround:
If you save and reload the file all is well.

> And, uh, the head directions are upside down, and also it's a whole step too
> low, I guess it didn't know to translate between clefs. Curiously, the MIDI
> notes DO know how to do that, and play correctly! Just shows up on screen
> wrong.
>
> I looked at the transpose feature, but couldn't figure out the secret magic
> code to get it to just transpose up 1 whole step from what is shown on
> screen.
yes, it is horribly obscure (though there is a "user-friendly" way of
setting the transposition, where you put two notes c, d in your score
select them and then Edit->Transpose->Set Transpose Interval). The
secret magic is that the transposition is in Dutch. Well, sort of
international European, at least so the Germans would have us believe:)

So, in Dutch flat is "es" and sharp is "is" and so "c ees" takes c up to
e-flat and hence a minor third higher.

> There's this crazy note in there saying that "ees" means a minor third up.
> That makes no sense in any universe I know of.

>  Anything I try, transposes it a couple octaves below where it needs to be
> anyway.
well, you have pasted from bass to treble, so the notes will be very low
in the treble clef - pasting does not alter the notes *at all*. In your
case it put them in the top staff, but got the drawing wrong because the
top staff had a different clef. (I confess to being puzzled by that - I
thought Nils had all that stuff sorted out...)

>  Numbers don't work. It's bizarre. So I guess I need to transpose it 13 or 25
> half-steps above, and would love to just be able to put in the number of
> half-steps
transposition is more complicated than a number of half steps, c ees is
different from c dis even though it is the same number of half steps.
(One is a minor third the other an augmented second).
But in short, you probably don't need to transpose, except perhaps c c'
to take some music up an octave (the guitar is actually notated in
Octava Bassa clef isn't it, just that people draw an ordinary treble
clef for it?)

Thanks for the comments!

Richard