Re: [Denemo-devel] Prevailing duration

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Prevailing duration
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 10:14:00 +0000

I have realized that this comment I made on irc #denemo holds the key to
how we can cope with new note types:

 <rshann> I am not sure what happens if you put a graphic on a chord
directive - it is probably up for grabs what is done with it

In fact, Nils was already pushing in the right direction, and I must
apologize to him for not realizing what to do sooner.
First we need to forget all about stems, tails and beaming. These are
built-in and I don't see any need (nor any way) of customizing them.

So a chord is a set of noteheads at various heights. And so I propose
that a chord directive with graphic override means use the graphic as
the default notehead for the chord, while a note with graphic override
means replace the notehead for that note of the chord. Of course,
without the graphic override any directives that have a graphic will
just add them to the display (as in fingerings, fret number, bow
direction etc).

This requires some C code, passing stuff from chord to note, but I am
sure it will not be difficult.

Richard