Re: [Denemo-devel] 2-key shortcuts

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] 2-key shortcuts
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 09:42:17 +0100

This will require some programming effort in keyresponses.c to move to
responding to the key release rather than the key press. I have
experimented with this - it is disconcerting that the action does not
take place until you release the key - you expect to see something
happen as you press it down.
This is an inescapable fact - if when the "b" key is pressed down the
action (inserting note B) takes place then it is not possible to have a
two-key shortcut involving pressing and holding "b" while pressing and
releasing a second key.
But its usefulness is even greater than the example given (i.e. b-n
inserts barline normal etc) would suggest. Consider holding the "s" key
(for "slur") and then the left and right arrow keys. So a single "s"
keypress could be bound to starting a slur, and holding the s and
pressing right would extend it, left reduce it.
Very intuitive. But the only way it would be acceptable to have the
response to a keypress on the release would be if it was something you
turned on/off, e.g. by putting on/off the NumLock. So if you were
entering notes you would turn it off, but if you were doing other work,
involving two-key shortcuts you would turn it on.

I do virtually all my note entering using the MIDI keyboard - hitting a
note name is just a tweaking thing I might do while at the pc-keyboard
fixing things. So I might actually make the two-key shortcut mode my
personal default.

Richard