Re: [Denemo-devel] Shortcuts and Shift

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Shortcuts and Shift
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 10:33:23 +0100

To move this on I have checked in to git a modification to the keypress
down routine.
It prints out the "keyval" field of the event and the "modifiers". For
the keyval field, it prints out the name that gdk gives to this (these
names are in gdk/gdkkeysyms.h with GDK_ prefixed). For the modifiers I
have tested for the Control and Shift bits and printed out whether these
are set or not - there are a lot of others (mod3, 4 ...) which are not
detailed here.

I haven't looked extensively at this, but on my keyboard the "1" key on
the main keyboard gives a keyval 31 (*) while when the modifier Shift
key is held down pressing the same key gives a *different* keyval,
namely, 21.

This is *not* the case with Control, which gives the same keyval.

In all cases the state of the control and shift are reported in the
modifiers field.

What I don't know is what other keyboards will do. And what we can make
of it all. I suspect other keyboards will cause a different keyval to
arrive in our keyboard routine when shift+"1" is pressed, different from
the 21 I get.

Anyway I have checked in the printout so that you can find out what
keyboards output and suggest what Denemo might do with the input from
them.

Richard

*(that's in hex, three sixteens and 1, ie 49 decimal)