Re: [Denemo-devel] Re: denemo and GPLv3

From: Nils Gey
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Re: denemo and GPLv3
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 00:21:24 +0200

I'm doing investigations again.
This is still not about the content or meaning of the gpl3 but about the
procedure itself:

-Very important is the string in GPL2 "any later version".

-GPL3 and GPL2 are incompatible. If there is a gpl2-lib Denemo uses which does
NOT use the "any later version" clause then we can't use it if we are going to
use GPL3. This is the technically most critical point and needs to be cleared
first. I am _not_ fully against a GPL3 switch but I find it very important to
check if GPL3 is still compatible with our current dependencies.

-If it turns out that Denemo was indeed historically released as "GPLv2 or any
later version" then we don't need to ask anybody because its only a name
change. If "later versions" is not the case all copyright holders need to be
asked for permission because its a switch to an incompatible(!) license.

-A quick crawl through all Denemo files did reveal that the "COPYING" file
seems to be the template version. This is a bad thing because it is not clear
if we use "any later version" or not, because its still there in its
suggestion/template form:
"[...] (at your option) any later version.[...]"

There seem to be only four source files directly created by denemo which have a
license header at all, but all these four use the unaltered template version,
that means no one ever has made the decision to use "any later version" or not.
./include/denemo/denemo_api.h
./include/denemo/denemo_types.h
./src/pitchrecog.c
./src/lyparser.h

-If "any later version" is applied to Denemos license it means the license
automatically upgrades to the next available GPL once its released (at least
that is what the folks in #gnu said). I am very alerted by this, it means we
are at the mercy of the Free Software Foundation (FSF). This is not the badest
thing to happen, but we don't have control over our own license in this case.
There is no meta-license that defines what the core GPL is, so its unlikely but
technically possible that a gpl4 or gpl5 will be of dislike to the Denemo
developers but the software/license automatically upgrades.

Next steps:
-Check if the GPL3 is worth it and rely on our own adjudgement
-Make clear if Denemo uses the "or any later version" clause and change the
files according to this

I'm not trying to get in the way of something but licenses are a core component
of free software and should no be taken lightly

Nils