Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:15:06 -0600

On Feb 15, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 18:52 +0100, Pietro Battiston wrote:
Il giorno lun, 15/02/2010 alle 16.34 +0000, Richard Shann ha scritto:
On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 10:55 +0100, Pietro Battiston wrote:
Il giorno lun, 15/02/2010 alle 09.08 +0000, Richard Shann ha scritto:
Still, in my opinion, the current situation is not terrible, I will just
change the default.
?? can that be done at packaging stage? (That is, you will build the executable with jack and fluidsynth enabled and then get it to start
doing output to fluidsynth by default, ignoring jack???)

Uhm... well, that's what is happening now, though I admit I totally
ignore the details.

I think that would be ok. Those who use jack have to set things up, and
so setting the Denemo prefs to use jack would be expected by them.
However ...

The package I will soon push to debian, compiled with all default
options, patched only to change the default audio driver and midi/ audio output (see attachment), runs by default with portaudio and pulseaudio; then, if the user runs jackd and selects "jack" as audio driver (and
restarts), it uses jack.
This I don't understand. I start with a simple Debian Stable
installation. If I set pulseaudio in the prefs I hear nothing - the
output is

fluidsynth: error: Couldn't find the requested audio driver: pulseaudio

Thank you very much for the remark: I tested denemo on debian, but I
only tested playback on Ubuntu... where pulseaudio is the default, and I
incorrectly assumed that gnome in general had pulseaudio, while under
debian it doesn't, as Till already wrote.

I hear things if I set oss. So it seems that a naive user installing
the denemo package and just starting denemo will hear no output unless he has installed pulseaudio (whatever that is). Perhaps when I set oss I am getting a side effect of some package that I have installed for some
other reason?

No, it's really my fault...

I will replace "pulseaudio" with "alsa", since if pulseaudio is running, "alsa" just runs very disturbed (and that may be a pulseaudio bug, maybe fixed in next Ubuntu), while if it is not running, "pulseaudio" will not
work at all...

Also, just reading your patch, it seems that the lines

#ifdef _HAVE_JACK_
  ret->midi_audio_output = Jack;
#endif

have been left in and (as you have compiled with --enable-jack) I would
have thought it would default to Jack midi output.

The point is I didn't compile with --enable-jack, I gave no configure
options at all (and --enable-jack defaults to NO): if I understand
correctly - but I may just be showing my huge ignorance of denemo
architecture - I'm able to use jack through portaudio, not through
direct denemo support (does it make sense?).

I don't think that makes sense, portaudio is just going straight for the
audio device I think.
When you compile with --enable-jack you get clients appearing in the
jack world, and you can connect your staffs to them and do all sorts of
wonderful things, but you have to do them, they don't just happen.
So I think you need to build it with jack enabled, but avoid it default
to using it.
I think we should probably make this the default inside denemo -
Jeremiah, Nils is that right?

Ok. So I should make the default for a ./configure without arguments to compile with fluidsynth and without Jack midi out. The user will need to add --enable-jack if they want that. Correct me if I am wrong.

It is quite alright to ignore all my comments if I am just barking up
the wrong tree. I am really quite lost in this deluge of drivers and
outputs and so on.

I can understand you!

If you are happy that someone installing and running
denemo will get something working straight away then I am sure that is
fine.

"alsa" as default is a reasonable solution

Pietro