Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi input via Fluidsynth is broken

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi input via Fluidsynth is broken
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:10:13 -0600

On Jan 29, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 09:51 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

Also... I have never used overlays except for rhythmic overlays.
by rhythmic overlays you mean what happens when you have the
Mode->Audible Feedback\nInsert Duration/Edit Note
checkbox checked?

I have not tried this. I only selected a rhythm and then selected create rhythm. I thought this was how you used a "rhythmic overlay"

The other thing (checking Overlays on the control panel) is the thing
involving the "tone store", and is intended for the mic pitch detection
stuff.

So the tone store is not needed for midi input. If so I wrote some code that stores notes in tone store with midi in. I will remove this code from midi input if it is not necesarry.

have tested this and it works for midi input.
Well, I was getting no MIDI input, but I have pushed a fix for that and
with plain Edit mode the MIDI keyboard edits the note, with no cursor
advance, with the Mode->Audible Feedback\nInsert Duration/Edit Note
entry type as well then you get cursor advance.

Ok.

You *can* use Edit mode with a MIDI filter to get cursor advance, which
you would do if you found the audible feedback for rhythm switching
annoying.

I am confused. What does audio feedback have to do with input midi filter to advance the cursor? I commented out the audio feedback because on midi input because it was not compiling and wanted to start testing this stuff before writing more code.

I am not sure if I am
testing the other type correctly. I take a bunch of notes on the
staff. I then change mode to edit. Then I hit notes on the keyboard.
The note changes under the cursor but the cursor dies not advance.
Is
this incorrect.
No, that is just edit mode. It is not any sort of overlay thing. With
the cursor advance it would be.

Is tone store required for this in midi input?

Perhaps there is something I left out or some
preference I forgot to set or something.

Experiment with Mode->Audible Feedback\nInsert Duration/Edit Note

It is what I use *all the time* with just a *very* occasional hitting

Ins/pc-keyboard note/Ins

sequence to insert a note using the pc-keyboard if I am fixing some
mistake (though usually, placing the cursor on the note and playing it
on the MIDI keyboard does this sort of thing fine).

Now this is dependant on the focus of the mouse or GUI. If the pitch detection window is on focus then keyboard input will be disable. Focusing on the score allows keyboard input again. So this GUI Is required for this functionality to work at the moment.