Re: [Denemo-devel] Removing instrument tuner

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Removing instrument tuner
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:22:05 +0000

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 13:24 +0100, Nils wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:48:46 -0600
> Jeremiah Benham <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I started looking at the audio input code because I wanted to start
> > thinking about how music games could use pitch detection via microphone.
> > While looking at the code it seems easy allow denemo to be compiled without
> > the instrument tuner. I bring this up because it was mentioned once that it
> > should be removed. I can put #ifdef _WITH_INSTRUMENT_TUNER_ around the
> > code. Then if it is desired to compile --with-instrument-tuner then the
> > feature can be enabled. By default it will be disabled. Should I procede
> > with this? If the code was to be removed completely should a new project be
> > created from the code? All of this does not seem like it would be hard to
> > do.
> >
> > Jeremiah
> >

> Independent of what is the default value I think it should be possible to
> deactivate anything except the core if you want.
Yes, I agree that it is an improvement if you can do --disable-xxx for
anything; especially good if the --disable means that you don't require
some package to be installed. But this may not be the highest priority
task of course - but then, sometimes doing things that you understand
well can be very satisfying, and it definitely adds value.

>  So a portaudio and aubio switch would be good, too.
yes - people may not want or be able to install all of these, and Denemo
will work just fine without for many purposes. Ideally the configure
step should find out what is present (jack fluidsynth portaudio
aubio...) and disable just those things; otherwise, everything on is
good. Here I am assuming everything on allows everything to be used (I
am not completely sure on one important case: built with jack but not
bothering with it, just using internal synth. Check this is ok.)
>  And deactivation of the assoziated menu options.
a good point.

> Which default value is a personal question of workflow and taste. The only
> general statements you can make is: everything except core (even lilypond)
> off OR everything on.
Let's go with everything ON by default (subject to the caveat above about jack
and fluidsynth). This gives least risk of developers breaking the build of some
wing of the program they are not using.
The only merit of turning anything off is a small amount of time (e.g.
sure there will be no perceptible impact.