Re: [Denemo-devel] menus, commands, and user ease of use. And other thin

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] menus, commands, and user ease of use. And other things....
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 14:38:02 +0000

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 16:36 +0300, alex stone wrote:
> I'm having somewhat of a deep think about the menu and command
> structure.
>
> Before i go through the list i ask is it possible to assign commands
> outside of the current pre-determined menu structure?
> I mention this because i get the following messages in a terminal:

Yes, it is all selectable by the user. The built-in things are not so
flexible (you would have to edit denemoui.xml, which unless you have
configured with --prefix would mean editing as root). But the messages
you are seeing are just due to the order of things in your command set
(/usr/local/share/denemo/actions/Default.cmdset if you didn't write one
in ~/.denemo/actions/Default.cmdset)
You can load Empty.cmdset and then install the commands you want where
you want them (using More). You can even create new menus, though the
straight forward way to do this is to go to ~/.denemo/actions/menus/...
and do mkdir there to create the menu and copy a command there from
under /usr/local/share/denemo/actions/menus/...).
You *can* do it from within denemo, e.g. by doing

right click -> get script
on the command you want to place somewhere
and then
right click -> save as new menu item
at the place where you want it - this would create a new version of the
command though, a clone as it were.

Really all this is for later, when we have too many commands and want to
get serious about ordering them to provide an end-user product, tailored
to say Brass Band Composers or ...