Re: [Denemo-devel] Fluidsynth autodetecion and default .sf2

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Fluidsynth autodetecion and default .sf2
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 10:43:36 -0600

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 23:27:47 +0100
Nils <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Jeremiah,
>
> If I remember right fluidsynth has an audio-out auto-detection. Maybe
> you can add it as default value in fluidsynths prefs-tab? this is
> useful for win (and mac), too, because Denemo works out-of-the box
> with that. I don't know if the priority is changable (first jack,
> then alsa etc.)

We have this already. We need to have some sort of list of
possibilities for each OS. We also need to know the OS strings for
autogen. something like this:

#ifdef GNU_LINUX
gchar *driver_options[5] = {"alsa", "jack", "oss", "pulseaudio",
"portaudio"};
#endif
#ifdef WIN32
gchar *driver_options[3] = {"dsound", "jack", "portaudio};
#endif
etc.....

For linux the default is "jack". That is not my choice. It is what is
returned by the fluidsynth default driver function call.

> For the second point an intro-statement: I still see fluidsynth as
> the "quick solution" and as fallback audio-out if the "real" output,
> Jackmidi, does not work or you don't want to load heavy external
> software. From this point of view I see the necessity to choose a
> free (software-speak), small but complete .sf2 and deliver it with
> Denemo on all systems to have a cross-platform Denemo "sound" avaible
> that makes it possible to just install Denemo and let it producing
> sounds without changing any prefs or connection something in
> qjackctl.

currently /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2 is set as the default.
It sounds very nice but it is 145MB though.

>It also makes it possible to predict the sound of a .denemo
> file if you send it to a friend.
>
> Maybe its nice to have a []-field in fluidsynth-prefs which just
> turns on the default Denemo-sf2 but leaves the custom field the way
> it is.
>
> If you want I can search for one. I have something between 4 and 8 MB
> in mind.

Yes. I would appreciate it. 8MBGMGS.sf2 is 7.9MB but I don't know if we
can distribute it.

Jeremiah