Re: [Denemo-devel] Spacing between staves

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Spacing between staves
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 17:28:37 +0100

Yes, it used to be worse. It used to be that you always had to set it
yourself, and you can still do that (staff properties...). But I got the
draw routine to increase the amount and re-draw if too little. But I
didn't do the inverse, partly to avoid too much re-drawing and partly
because I didn't know how much was the default - it is all rather
obscure to me in there.
What is really annoying is it allows you to place idiotically high and
low notes - no range checking - and then keeps the crazy height.
On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 15:19 +0200, Nils Gey wrote:
> If you have two staffs and put very low notes on the upper one (or high notes
> on the lower one) the other staff gets shifted, which is a good thing. Of
> course this happens even more with lyrics attached.
>
> But if you delete the low notes the staffs stay in this position, even close
> Denemo/reload
Yes, this is because it is saving the values, which it really doesn't
need to, since now, in practice everyone is letting them get set
automatically. I'll try removing the save of these values...

>  does not put the more narrow togehter.
>
> This could possibly be a thing to fix or to include in a "Redraw Screen"
> routine.
>
> Nils
>
> P.S.
> I think you already told me this before, but why is Denemo so unflexible with
> zooming
AFAIK Denemo works in pixels, assigning fixed amounts to things like the
spacing between lines and so on, and using fixed size bitmaps to draw
noteheads etc.
I don't know how it might be done differently - I noticed that Finale
defaulted to much smaller music size on screen, and it seemed quite
readable.

Richard