[Denemo-devel] Denemo music-vault / scheme security risks

From: Nils Gey
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Denemo music-vault / scheme security risks
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 23:34:34 +0200

I'm currently working on a way to build a .denemo vault on denemo.org where
users can share their music.

Of course this will only be succesfull if users can upload and maintain their
files themselves and the files have not to be reviewed by the denemo-team first.

There are two issues:
1)Copyright.
 This is a typical one. Like many services and places of the web where things
can be shared there is a possibility that copyrighted material will be made
avaible.

There is no working solution for this except: remove when discovered. I suggest
we will excatly do that on denemo.org: Allow any .denemo notation to be
uploaded and when we discover illegal material or if anyone complains we just
delete it and probably ban the user-account. (Of course banning has no real
effect because its free and unrestricted to make a new account)

I expect not many cases to happen... notation is not mp3.

2)Security
Richard told me that the scheme-code inside denemo-files can harm your system.

But we have to think about ways to warn and to protect the users.
There are two steps: Website and inside denemo.

Now what can denemo files do and what ways are there to restrict denemos scheme
access on the users system?

If it is enough to restrict inside denemo then we don't have to install
anything on our website to check the files.

Of course warning and simple checks are easier. First only .denemo files which
are mime-type application/x-gzip can be uploaded to our site (this already
works). And we can add a disclaimer "Be careful with downloaded .denemo-files"
but people tend to just ignore such warnings and just load the files anyway.

Nils