Re: [Denemo-devel] sysconfdir

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] sysconfdir
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:13:25 +0000

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 09:00 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> In configure.in sysconfdir is setup like this
>
> dnl Force sysconfdir=/etc if no --sysconfdir=xxx passed
> dnl
> if test $sysconfdir = $\{prefix\}/etc; then
>   sysconfdir=/etc/${PACKAGE}
> else
>   sysconfdir=$sysconfdir/${PACKAGE}
> fi
> AC_SUBST(sysconfdir)
>

> This forces /etc/denemo to be the config directory. The gnu default is
> to put it in $(prefix)/etc/denemo. To change the location of sysconfidir
> it has to be passed as an argument to ./configure. Normally the user
> expects to do ./configure --prefix=/home/username but instead has to do
> ./configure --prefix=/home/username --sysconfdir=/home/username
>
> There was a bug report about this a while back. Do you guys think we
> should change it? If we do then the default will place configure files
> in /usr/local/etc/denemo. This is supposedly the gnu standard.
Hmm, there is nothing in /usr/local/etc on my system. What are
similar/most/commonest packages doing?
I know I've done that --prefix thing in the past when building other
packages & everything has gone ok (i.e. everything in my own user
directory space).
I would say (if it's a choice) stick with the crowd rather than an
understanding of a standard.

Richard